Project Type: Assisted Living and Memory Care
Project Location: Troy, Michigan
Number of Units: 87 units
Owner: Northpoint Development
Architect: Pi Architects
Completion Date: June 2017
Total Square Footage: 75,630
Total Contract Value: $14.9 million
- Bistro and Ice Cream Parlor
- Bar and Lounge
- Movie Theater
- Dining Room
- Social Areas
- Game Room
- State-of-the-Art Fitness Center
- Outdoor Heated Pool
- Beauty Salon and Spa with Barber Shop
- Media Center
- Multifunctional Craft Center and activity Room
Challenges & Solutions
- The design caused pricing from the beginning of the project to exceed the owner’s budget.
- The owner decided to change interior design firms late in construction, which altered numerous interior finishes with only four months left in the project.
- The client had no prior experience building senior living facilities in the state of Michigan.
- The project included turning several acres of adjacent land into a city-owned dog park.
The Douglas Company Solutions
- The Douglas Company provided value engineering during construction which saved $550,000 without halting progress.
- The Douglas Company worked to find affordable solutions that could be available with short notice, including several custom built items and organized the sequencing of installation to ensure timely completion.
- The Douglas Company has built extensively in Michigan and is knowledgeable of local, state, and health codes, which helped the client transition smoothly into a new market.
- The Douglas Company turned this challenge into an opportunity by arranging with the City to exchange fill from the dog park area with excess topsoil from the project site to assist with the project’s needs, while reducing costs.