Project Type: Assisted Living and Memory Care
Project Location: Pensacola, Florida
Number of Units: 89 units
Owner: Hardcourt Development No. 2, LLC
Architect: Bessolo Group
Completion Date: January 2016
Total Square Footage: 75,138
Total Contract Value: $10.8 million
- Large Wooded Property with Nature Trail
- Beauty Salon & Barber
- Spa & Fitness Center
- Multiple Dining Rooms
- Memory Care
Highlights of Facility
- Magnificent Assisted Living Courtyard with Fountain Centerpiece
- Grand 2-story Entry with Wood Cladded Valulted Ceilings
- Painted Cloud Murals in Both Auxiliary Dining Rooms
- Bistro with Coffee Bar
Challenges & Solutions
- The Pump Design Resolution – The Owner wanted to avoid the use of a Fire Pump, despite the available utility water pressures warranting the need for a fire pump.
- The Douglas Company worked with its plumbing contractor to correct the Contract Document Hot Water Loop Design.
- Stair #3 – When the completed design drawings were finally submitted to permitting for approval and then returned with Building Department comments, The Building Dept./Fire Marshal noted the need to add an additional staircase at the Northeast corner of the Building. This cost was never included in the original GMP and the owner did not have the funds at the time available to absorb the added cost.
The Douglas Company Solutions
- The Douglas Company met with the Fire Marshall and Designers to ultimately find a way with the additions of some standpipe compressors and special release valves (for a marginal cost increase) to avoid the need for the Fire Pump.
- Inline Hot water Booster pumps, aqua-stats, and check valves had to be installed at the completion of the project and piping rerouted to create a true loop system so that hot water could reach all units in a reasonable timeframe.
- TDC operations team, as a partner, worked to simplify the stairwell design and develop and suggest project value engineering alternatives that the owner accepted, ultimately provided the necessary funds needed to pay for the inclusion of the required stairwell. The owners were ecstatic.