Project Type: Historic Renovation
Project Location: Toledo, Ohio
Number of Units: 106 apartments
Owner: George F. Eyde Family, LLC
Architect: Quinn Evans Architects
Completion Date: March 2018
Total Contract Value: $21.7 million
Challenges & Solutions
- The building’s elevators were old and suffered almost daily breakdowns which made getting materials to the upper floors difficult.
- There were two additional general contractors working on lower floors of the building, on separate projects, creating added confusion.
- The existing building’s fire ratings posed several issues throughout construction, leading to setbacks to the schedule.
The Douglas Company Solutions
- A delivery & material hoisting schedule board was established and maintained on-site by The Douglas Company Superintendent. All material deliveries/hoisting were required to be coordinated through this board to ensure no overlapping or stacking of scheduled elevator use occurred. The Douglas Company worked closely with its local elevator subcontractor to address breakdowns and servicing issues as soon as they arose in the existing elevators. Repairs were made in a timely fashion to ensure work progressed quickly.
- The Douglas Company remained aware of the concurrent projects and how they might impact construction to come up with effective methods to eliminate any potential complications.
- The Douglas Company worked with the owner, architect, and City to find the best solutions to these setbacks and held preemptive meetings with the City of Toledo’s Building and Fire Departments where future problems were identified and solved before they could have detrimental effects.